Skip to main content

The Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2016

Summer 2016 movies. 
I knew what my #1 is going to be but like last year, I will not include it on the list because Captain America: Civil War will pass by in May and then my anticipation is over. So, this is a list of my top 10 most anticipated movies of Summer 2016 after Civil War. I have to admit based on the line-up, it is kind of a weak lineup compared to last year with many sequels.

Like I said in the past, for Hollywood, their summer begins in May as one blockbuster will set the standard for the summer and no matter what, some movies in the summer will be unpredictable to see whether or not one movie is good or not. But, I think the theme will be "fun, stupid" movies or "fun" sequels. You know where I'm getting at.

Here are the top 10 anticipated movies of the summer after Civil War:

Captain America: Civil War (May 6th)


10. The Legend of Tarzan (Jul. 1)

This rivals The Jungle Book for being the best movie set up in the jungle. I was more impressed and surprised by the result of how it will look and also for the ladies, how Alexander Skarsgärd will portray Tarzan and Margot Robbie will portray Jane. Director David Yates who also did the last 4 Harry Potter movies is at the helm so we will see.

9. Star Trek Beyond (Jul. 22)

The trailer got me confused and worried because of how good the first two movies were directed by J.J. Abrams. But, now, that Abrams have left for the Star Wars universe, the first trailer to the third movie was not that great but looked like a lot of fun. The only thing that I wanted is how Star Trek is defined. It has more a emotional aspect of family. But, the trailer prevented me from getting into the top 5.

8. Finding Dory (June 17)

Why is this lower? Not one trailer has gotten me to say "Wow! This will be a classic!" The trailers have underwhelmed me a bit in its tone of comedy and drama mixing in with emotion. I am really worried that it will copy the same jokes and emotion that the classic Finding Nemo had. But, Dory was the best character of the first movie so I'm not that worried.

7. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (May 20)

I liked Neighbors. I laughed but I wanted it to be hilarious because the family aspect was slow to get going and it got old quickly. But, it was Zac Efron who was the star and had fun with both Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne, which they have a good parental chemistry. However, I think a movie clashing with a sorority is a better and funnier idea with Chloe Grace Moritz and her sorority taunting Rogen. But, there are a few other comedy trailers that made me laugh more and harder.

6. X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27)

This is the trailer that got me going but I'm worried whether or not a myriad of superheroes will be too much for this third movie but Bryan Singer, the director, knows the universe. But, a bunch of talent again is in this movie with James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicolas Hoult and Oscar Isaac helming the movie. Let's hope it's good.

5. Sausage Party (Aug. 12)

(WARNING: RED BAND TRAILER. STRONG LANGUAGE.)

I watched this trailer for the first time not knowing what it was and made me laugh harder than any other trailer on this list. (Find two moments you think I laughed really hard at.) But, a whole cast ensemble of funny actors such as Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Craig Robinson, Jason Segel, James Franco, Paul Rudd and even Edward Norton and Salma Hayek. My goodness! I don't know how the end result will turn out but this R-rated animated movie will get me laughing.

4. Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24)

Roland Emmerich is a director that I have enjoyed his cheesy disaster action flicks in the past but hated a few of his other movies. He's a rollercoaster, this guy. But, there was a lot of speculation whether this sequel will be made or not and it's been made but without Will Smith. How much impact will that be? But, most of the cast is back including Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman and Judd Hirsch with newcomers Liam Hemsworth, Jessie Usher and Maika Monroe. I'm hoping this is a fun, dumb action movie.

3. Jason Bourne (Jul. 29)

I'm hoping there's a main trailer coming soon. Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass are re-teaming once again to make another Bourne movie. I'm in, way in. I'm hoping that we return to the action-packed smart thriller that can get me on the edge of my seat. I'm a big fan of the Bourne trilogy, not the disappointing Bourne Legacy.

2. The Nice Guys (May 20)

Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling being in an action comedy teaming with director Shane Black? That'll get me a ticket into the theater and plus it looks like a lot of fun to just join in for the fun ride. It's great to see these dramatic actors have a lot of fun pulling in some humor to entertain the audience with help of Shane Black's dialogue.

1. Suicide Squad (Aug. 5)

The first Comic-Con trailer was gritty, dark and epic. The second trailer was a hell of a lot of fun and still dark and felt a bit realistic thanks to director David Ayer who has made Fury, End of Watch and a few other mixed films. But, I like this look a lot. Will Smith, Jared Leto (let's see how his Joker will look on-screen), Margot Robbie (perfect as Harley Quinn), Joel Kinnaman, Viola Davis, Jai Courtney and others are trying to have some fun with this movie and entertain us. I'm not too familiar with many of the characters but I had the same reaction with Guardians of the Galaxy and that was a whole lot of fun.

Honorable Mentions:

Me Before You (Jun. 3)

Free State of Jones (Jun. 24)

The BFG (Jul. 1)

The Secret Life of Pets (Jul. 8)

Ghostbusters (Jul. 15)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 Documentaries

I have only seen 6 documentaries this year which also includes Amy and I Am Chris Farley . But, I have to be honest, this has not been a particularly strong year for documentaries except for onethat got me emotionally and mentally as what I examine for when they uncover the truth or some facts from the people involved in these documentaries. But, here are the four I have seen this year: Listen To Me Marlon, Unrated, 4 stars This is the most insightful documentary of the year as we only hear Marlon Brando narrating his life and experiences what he has gone through regarding his family, his private life and his film experiences regarding The Godfather , Apocalypse Now , Last Tango in Paris , etc. It is like Marlon Brando came out of his grave to give us another profoundly moving movie only we hear his voice and scenery and nothing else. The Look of Silence, R, 3.5 stars Joshua Oppenheimer's follow-up documentary is a light-hearted but still-disturbing film regarding a

The Best Films of the Year (1999, 2003-2023)

I've posted my lists of the best films over the years, 1999, 2003-2023. You can take a look and glance at them. (Revised on 04/22/2024). 1999 1. The Insider  (Mann) 2. Magnolia  (Anderson) 3. The Matrix  (Wachowskis) 4. Being John Malkovich  (Jonze) 5. Fight Club  (Fincher) 6. The Straight Story  (Lynch) 7. The Talented Mr. Ripley  (Minghella) 8. Eyes Wide Shut  (Kubrick)  9. The Iron Giant  (Bird) 10. American Beauty  (Mendes) 11. The Sixth Sense  (Shyamalan) 12. Topsy-Turvy  (Leigh) 13. Toy Story 2  (Lasseter) 14. All About My Mother  (Almodovar) 15. Galaxy Quest  (Parisot) 2003 1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King  (Jackson) 2. Lost In Translation   (Coppola) 3. Finding Nemo   (Stanton) 4. Memories of Murder   (Joon-ho) 5. Oldboy   (Chan-Wook) 6. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl   (Verbinski) 7. Mystic River   (Eastwood) 8. Kill Bill Vol. 1   (Tarantino) 9. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World  (Weir) 10. Whale Rider   (Caro) 20

Daddy's Home 2 (2017), PG-13, ★1/2

The first Daddy's Home was surprisingly a financial success as I thought it was not as bad as many people thought. I thought it was a solid cable watch because it had enough laughs for that sort of mixed recommendation. I was not craving for a sequel for this movie because again, comedy sequels have a very bad record, however, the only difference is that it is not too late since the first movie came out a few years ago. But, this sequel is a reminder as to why we do not need a sequel to a hit comedy because this is a pretty much forgettable comedy, especially a holiday comedy...which I hade a guilty pleasure for. This did not work for me. Brad and Dusty (Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg) have become friends after the events of the first film and they set up a co-dad system where their two children, Megan and Dylan, spending time at each father's home. Dusty has re-married to writer Karen (Victoria's Secret model Alessandra Ambrosio) and he is step-dad to Adrianna, Karen&